Carbon pricing as a win-win solution for a green recovery
March 18, 2021 @ 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
GSC Webinar in association with Worldwide Carbon Price.
As the global economy starts to rebound from the trauma of the pandemic, governments are faced with twin challenges:
- There is a need to turn promises of a green recovery into an effective set of policy instruments that provide financing and support for an unprecedented wave of clean energy investment;
- Public finances have been severely stretched by emergency measures during the pandemic, limiting options to raise new funds.
THE HARD REALITIES:
- In most OECD countries tax on incomes cannot be raised further to repay recovery (it should be reduced instead)
- General progress in terms of redesigning fiscal systems as instruments for environmental and climate policy objectives is insufficient
- Most countries – not only oil exporters – need to move to phase out fossil fuels subsidies that are contributing to significant environmental and climate damage
The cost of green energy sources such as a solar PV have plummeted, but crisis-induced low fossil prices are still damaging their competitiveness
Putting a global price on carbon emissions presents a unique solution for overcoming post-pandemic fiscal stress and boosting the transition to green technologies.
This webinar will:
- Explain why this is the perfect time to expand carbon pricing in the world;
- Examine how it will work;
- Explore the benefits to fiscal regimes, trade, investment and climate policy.